2022 income target: $5,000
Real estate crowdfunding is a new way to invest in real estate. I started investing in real estate crowdfunding in 2017 because I didn’t want to be a hands-on landlord anymore. My goal is to increase our investment to $200,000 by 2023. This should generate at least $10,000/year.
At the end of 2021, we had $124,614 invested. That year we received $4,847 of passive income from RE crowdfunding. That’s not bad, but 2022 should be a lot better.
You can see all of our passive income over on the Passive Income page. I will update these passive income pages monthly.
2022 Real Estate Crowdfunding income
We’re off to a great start this year. One project was completed and we got a big payout. My target is to have one project complete every year. That way we’ll get one nice payout per year. The timing is tricky, though. Each project has its own timeline.
- 2017 real estate crowdfunding income: $437
- 2018 RE crowdfunding income: $2,156
- 2019 RE crowdfunding income: $3,855
- 2020 RE crowdfunding income: $6,714
- 2021 RE crowdfunding income: $4,847
- 2022 YTD RE crowdfunding income: $22,738
You can see how all our real estate crowdfunding projects have performed since 2017.
Real estate projects 2022
- CrowdStreet Chicago office building ($25,000) – The property is under renovation. The current environment is very challenging for office buildings. We’ll have to hang on and see how everything works out with this project. This project has not paid out anything yet.
- CrowdStreet Senior housing ($27,000) – This is a fund to invest in senior living facilities. I committed $30,000 here and funded $27,000. The rest will be due at some point. This project won’t generate any income for a few years.
- CrowdStreet Washington apartment ($30,000) – This is a project near Seattle. I think that’s a great market. This apartment is generating a nice income.
- CrowdStreet North Carolina apartment ($30,000) – This is a new project near Lafayette Village, NC.
- An apartment in Arizona ($2,697.) This equity deal is going well so far. **Update** The borrower refinanced this project and returned 73% of the money invested. This is great! We can reinvest this money and generate more income.
- CrowdStreet Texas apartment – This project was completed in April and they promptly paid the investors. CrowdStreet is the best RE crowdfunding company on the market right now. Their commercial projects are first-class and should weather the downturn pretty well. I’ll keep you updated on this. Check out their project by signing up for a free account at CrowdStreet.
Sign up to invest
Real estate crowdfunding has been an excellent investment for us. I plan to increase our investment substantially over the next few years. There is still a big housing shortage across the U.S. so apartments should perform well for many years. Here are the real estate crowdfunding companies that I’m working with.
- CrowdStreet – CrowdStreet focuses on commercial properties across the USA. You can invest in apartments, self-storage, strip malls, office buildings, medical offices, and more. CrowdStreet is the best RE crowdfunding company on the market right now. Sign up for free and check out their projects.
- RealtyMogul – All investors can invest in their REIT. In addition, accredited investors can invest in private projects and do a 1031 exchange.
- Fundrise – Non-accredited investors can invest in iREIT here.
*Accredited investor needs to have over $200,000 of income over the last 2 years or has a net worth of over $1,000,000.
Disclosure: We may receive a referral fee if you sign up for a service through a link on this page. The content contains testimonials from Joe. The actual experience of other customers may differ from the testimonials. The testimonials do not represent guarantees of future performance or success. Moreover, no person nor any other entity assumes responsibility for the accuracy and completeness of the testimonials.
Passive income is the key to early retirement. This year, Joe is investing in commercial real estate with CrowdStreet. They have many projects across the USA so check them out!
Joe also highly recommends Personal Capital for DIY investors. They have many useful tools that will help you reach financial independence.
Latest posts by retirebyforty (see all)
- Unconventional Thinking ep.1 - November 20, 2022
- Is Your Workplace a Super Chickens Experiment? - November 16, 2022
- Are Layoffs Making You Nervous? - November 13, 2022
- How to save on the heating bill AND stay warm – build a Kotatsu table! - November 9, 2022
- October 2022 FIRE Update - November 6, 2022