Somewhat Passive Income – Blogging
Blogging isn’t very passive for me at this point. I spend 20-30 hours per week writing, networking, responding to comments, and maintaining Retire by 40. Someday, I’d like to cut it down to around 10 hours per week. That goal is many years off, though. I enjoy blogging so it’s a good way to spend time in early retirement. The blog income is a huge bonus. When I started Retire by 40 in 2010, my goal was to generate about $500/month. After 9 years, the blog income has grown significantly. I’m very grateful for your support. Thank you!
You can see all of our passive income on the Passive Income page. I will update these passive income pages monthly.
2019 YTD Blog Income: $2,499 YTD
The blog income is slowing down significantly in 2019. I’ll to work with some new partners to bring it back up. It’s not looking good compares to 2018.
Here is how we generated online income so far in 2019.
- Banner ads: $2,440. These are the banner ads you see on Retire by 40. I hope to make about $2,000 per month with these ads. This is going well so far in 2019.
- Affiliates: $778. These are referral fees from affiliate links. If a reader signs up for a service through our affiliate links, then we may receive a referral fee. Affiliate income slowed down significantly in 2019. I’ll have to work on this one.
- Private ads: $0. Occasionally, we worked with a company to advertise their products. I rarely do this anymore. This income will be very small in 2019.
- Business: -$301. Business equipment, internet, hosting, email service, CDN, cell phone, etc…
- Travel and meals: -$39
- Employee: -$379. This year, we hired our first part-time employee. It’s RB40Jr! I’ll pay him $25 for each image I use in a blog post and $4 per image on social media. This income will go straight to his Roth IRA. I’m excited to see how this experiment will turn out.
- Estimated tax: $0. I’m not taking home much so I’m not going to send in estimated tax this year.
Here is the 2018 graph of the revenue, expense, and net income.
Incredibly, Retire by 40 generated over $350,000 in revenue since I started blogging in 2010. That’s much more than I ever expected. It’s pretty crazy, right?
2018 was my best year yet and I generated $81,135. I’m not done with taxes yet, but the income will probably be around $60,000. However, 2019 isn’t looking so good. I’ll have to focus on income more. It’s been very slow so far. Thank you for your support!
Starting a blog is a great way to build your brand and generate some extra income. You can see my tutorial – How to Start A Blog and Why You Should. Check it out if you’re thinking about blogging.
Joe left his engineering career behind to become a stay-at-home dad/blogger at 38. Today, he blogs about financial independence, early retirement, investing, and living a frugal lifestyle. See how he generates Passive Income here.
Joe highly recommends Personal Capital for DIY investors. He logs on to Personal Capital almost daily to check his cash flow and net worth. They have many useful tools that will help DIY investors analyze their portfolio and plan for retirement.