December 2010 credit card bill finally arrived and it looks like we got through relatively unscathed. We did spend quite a bit of money on Black Friday, but that was all on the November bill so we consciously limited our shopping expenditures in December.
Gas – $66 (Gas price creeping up)
Public Transport – $47. I get $30 reimbursement though.
Internet – $30
New glasses for Mrs. – $150 (FSA)
New glasses for me – $150 (no FSA, bad planning on my part.)
Teeth cleaning – $7 (some credit from last time)
Baby bassinet – $170 (baby expense is starting to show up)
Pets – $124 (a bit higher than usual because we purchased 2 bags of food so we could get a free one.)
Blog – $50 donation to favorite charity giveaway
Cell phone minutes – $40
RITE AID – $74 (last minute FSA shopping spree)
* We give ourselves $100 allowance each every week to spend on discretionary items: groceries, shoes, shows, dinners out, and whatever else we want.
December 2010 compliance rating – 100%
These all look like legitimate expenses so we get an A this month. The total bill is under $1,000 and that’s pretty good for a Christmas bill. We didn’t travel this year so that helped quite a bit too.
Some cash purchases in December
Christmas gifts – around $100
HK 3390 Stereo receiver – $220 (No more stereo equipment for me, this will last me a long time.)
compliance rating = 100% – (what we should have paid with cash/total bill)
100% – ($0/$908)
What about your December bill? Was it under control or was it a monster?
For 2018, Joe plans to diversify his passive income by investing in US heartland real estate through RealtyShares. He has 3 rental units in Portland and he believes the local market is getting overpriced.
Joe highly recommends Personal Capital for DIY investors. He logs on to Personal Capital almost daily to check his cash flow and net worth. They have many useful tools that will help every investor analyze their portfolio and plan for retirement.
Latest posts by retirebyforty (see all)
- Early Retirement Blogs for Everyone - October 18, 2018
- How to Avoid Overspending and Overeating - October 15, 2018
- Do you like Retire by 40’s new logo? - October 11, 2018
- How Early Retirement Impacts Social Security Benefits - October 8, 2018
- Do you need Financial Independence to Retire Early? - October 4, 2018