Here are the top 10 articles at Retire By 40. How did I choose from over 800 articles? Some of these articles are very popular, some have a lot of reader interaction, and some I just really love. Let me know if you’d like me to add or remove a particular article.
1) I handed in my Two Weeks Notice – Well, now I’ve gone and done it! I gave my two weeks notice to my manager last Monday. I’ve been with my current employer for 16 years, but it was an easy decision to make. You’ll see why as I tell you what happened over the first six months of 2012. I haven’t shared much […]
2) Why I gave up my engineering career – One of our readers is going back to school for an engineering degree and asked me to write a detailed post on why I gave up my engineering career. It’s a great career that pays well and are in demand, but it might not be for everyone. Computers fascinated me when I was young and […]
3) Go It Alone – Have you ever wanted to be your own boss? Did you dream of starting your own business when you were young? If you are not self-employed now, what is stopping you? Is it not the right time? The timing is never perfect, but at some point in your life, the opportunity to go it alone […]
4) Should I rethink Retire By 40? – If you haven’t seen it yet, check out my guest post at Get Rich Slowly – Can I walk away from a 6 figure salary? I was expecting some controversy when I wrote this post, but the torrent of negativity still caught me by surprise. The comments are quite amusing really, so head over to […]
5) Swarming Pigeons, Dog Poop, Happiness, and $60,000 – We had a rare mild sunny day here in Portland last week so we took advantage of it by going out to run around some nearby parks. First we went to feed the pigeons with a couple pieces of stale bread. The pigeons have been listless lately because it has been so cold, but today […]
6) How’s life 2 years after early retirement? – It’s been 2 years since I left my corporate job and I’m still retired. Yes! I still remember the elation I felt as I drove away from the office for the last time with Van Halen’s Right Nowblasting in the car. Time flies when you’re having fun and these past 2 years flashed by in a blink […]
7) Mrs. RB40’s exit strategy – This is part 2 of RB40’s Exit Strategy Post Mortem. You might want to read that post first if you haven’t seen it. I left my corporate job over a year ago and we have been very happy and are doing fine financially. Mrs. RB40 has seen how happy I am without a corporate job and now she is yearning to spend more time with us […]
8) What if you always maxed out your 401(k) – How much do you have saved in your 401(k)? If you max out your 401(k) contribution every year since you started working, you would have a good size retirement portfolio by now. However, if you are like the average worker, your retirement account balance is woefully low. Fidelity Investment analyzed nearly one million investors’ retirement accounts […]
9) Should you pay off your mortgage if you could? – Last week I got a couple of emails from our readers asking some questions about mortgages. …you have a mortgage in both your condo and rental property. I would like to know what your thinking process was. Why not payoff the condo? Also, why the investments in the market instead of paying off the real […]
10) What is the size of your ideal home? – What is the size of your ideal home? Take my poll at the bottom of the post (closed.) Do you want to live in a 5 bedroom McMansion or one of the eco-friendly tiny homes? The average NEW home size took a dive recently due to the recession, but it was […]
You can read more Best of Retire By 40 at the Start Here page.