I am going to chronicle my quest to retire by 40. I am 36 and I only have a few years left to accomplish this goal; let’s see if I can do it by January 1st, 2014.
*Update* – I did it! I quit my job in July 2012, a little ahead of schedule.
Most of us working stiffs want to retire as soon as possible and my goal is at the nice round number of 40. Retirement means different things to different people and my definition of retirement will not the same as yours.
My definition of retiring at 40 – not having to answer to anyone except myself. Well my wife, but that’s it. Basically, this means walking away from my stable, corporate, cubicle farm job with a nice salary and excellent benefits.
I will expand on my goal and lay down the blueprint of how I will achieve it by writing in the following broad categories:
– my investment fundamentals
– progress report and milestones
– saving tips
– biggest worries about retirement
– funny stories that should be perform by Dilbert and friends.
– my crazy impractical business idea. Hey, if some guy (Feelgoodz) can sell rubber flip
flops from Thailand for $25 a pair, some of my crazy ideas ought to be viable. These flip flops probably retail for a dollar in Thailand.
“The journey of a thousand miles begin with a single step.” I feel like I am getting closer to my retirement by 40, and this blog is the single step in a new journey.
Check out retirebyforty’s Manifesto.
For 2018, Joe plans to diversify his passive income by investing in US heartland real estate through RealtyShares. He has 3 rental units in Portland and he believes the local market is getting overpriced.
Joe highly recommends Personal Capital for DIY investors. He logs on to Personal Capital almost daily to check his cash flow and net worth. They have many useful tools that will help every investor analyze their portfolio and plan for retirement.
Latest posts by retirebyforty (see all)
- Saving More for Retirement in My Solo 401k - March 19, 2018
- Why I’m Hiring Our Kid as an Employee - March 15, 2018
- 2017 Blog Income Wrap Up - March 12, 2018
- Screening Tenants in the Spring Is Like Online Dating - March 8, 2018
- Do you like doing your own taxes, but need an expert opinion? - March 7, 2018