2013 is flying by and now it’s down to the wire! How are your New Year’s Resolutions doing? Summer was so busy for everyone and now it’s time to buckle down and finish up those resolutions before the holidays arrive.
I had way too many goals this year. Next year I’ll concentrate on just a few big goals. Having too many goals aren’t good because I can’t keep track them all. Life is just too busy. At least now I have a better idea of what to concentrate on for the rest of the year.
Our goal for 2013 is for him to make a friend. He is learning to socialize with other kids and we are very happy with his progress. I was hoping he’ll be able to start preschool too, but that didn’t work out. He just wasn’t ready yet and we’ll hold off until next year.
Setting goals for RB40 Jr. isn’t very useful. Kids just change too fast at this age and a year is such a long time for him. I think I’ll just let him go at his own speed. No more goals for RB40 Jr. next year.
2013 Financial Goals
- Contribute $11,000 to Roth IRA – Done in Q1.
- Increase Mrs. RB40’s 401(k) contribution to $17,500 – Done in Q1.
- Contribute $10,000 to Baby RB40’s 529. Done in Q2.
- Generate $18,000 of passive income. We are not going to meet this goal in 2013 because we only made about $7,000 so far. I’ll need to recalibrate this for 2014. Maybe $10,000 to $12,000 is a more realistic goal. Fail.
- Generate $18,000 online. Done in Q3.
- Stretch Goal – contribute $5,000 to a solo 401(k). WIP. I talked to Vanguard and got the forms. I just need to sit down and fill them out. I think I’ll send in about $20,000 for 2013.
- Put together a will. I kept putting this off. I know it’s terrible, but it’ll probably be put off until 2014… WIP.
- Buy life insurance – WIP. I got some quotes and had blood drawn. Now, I’m waiting to hear back from a couple of places. The price seems really high, so I might have to work on my triglycerides first and then apply again later.
- Take a trip. Done. We went to visit Santa Barbara and the Bay Area this year.
- Avoid a midlife crisis! I’m turning 40 soon and I really don’t want to have any kind of meltdown. Doing well here so far. WIP.
- Enjoy being a stay at home dad. We are doing pretty well here. RB40 Jr. can still be a handful sometime, but I think I’m adjusting to it. He is starting to listen a bit more, so that’s progress. WIP.
- Come up with a sustainable exercise program and do it. Fail! I haven’t been able to keep up with my exercise program. I think I’ll have to join a gym next year.
- Go to a convention. Done. I went to World Domination Summit and it was great. It was such an inspiring experience that I got a ticket for Mrs. RB40 next year.
- Join Toastmasters. Fail! I think I’m going to give up on this goal. I’m just not enthused about it. Maybe when RB40 Jr. is in school full time.
- Go camping at the beach in the summer. Done! We went to Cape Lookout. It was a lot of fun and RB40 Jr. had a blast.
- Go for a short hike in the Columbia George. Done! We went to see the waterfalls a couple of times over the summer.
Get a Zoo membership.Pass. We have been to the zoo 3 times this year. There are free days and discount days so we don’t really need to get a membership at this time. Go to 10 local festivals in 2013. Pass. We went to a bunch of festivals this summer, but I don’t think we hit 10. This goal doesn’t really need to be here.
- Picnic at an Oregon winery. Done. We went wine tasting a couple of times this year.
Go to 10 free musical/tourist destinations/theatrical performances.Pass. We went to a bunch of free events this year. It’s probably around 10, but I lost count because there were so many. Not a big deal.
- Have a drink with blogger friends in Oregon and California. Done! I met up with bloggers and readers in Seattle, San Jose, and San Francisco so far. I’ll see a bunch of people at WDS next weekend too.
- Try a new beer – Done! I guess this was a freebie. I tried a bunch new beers this year.
- 2013 No Spend Challenge: Clothing. I got a new pair of tennis shoes from the Adidas employee store (50% off!) They’re still in the box and I’m saving them for when my shoes are worn out. I think I can give that a pass, right? WIP.
My main goal for 2013 is to hit 100,000 page views per month at some point. We are very close, but I don’t know if we can do it this year. September was our best month so far at about 95,000 page views. October will be our best chance because during the holidays, traffic drops off quite a bit. We’ll see in a month if we get lucky somehow. Thank you for reading Retire By 40!
Down to the wire
Like I said, it’s down to the wire. At least now I know what to work on and what to ignore. I’ll get my solo 401(k) contributed to and follow up with the life insurance agents. Once that’s done, I might work on our will. I’m not going to stress out much about the rest of the list.
Anyway, having a written list of goals is extremely useful. It gave me a chance to follow up on them and refocus every quarter. If I didn’t have this list and a blog, I probably would have forgotten many of these New Year’s resolutions by now. That’s one of the reasons why maintaining a blog is great for self motivation.
What about you? Did you make any New Year’s resolutions in 2013? How are you doing so far?
photo credit: flickr Coconino National Forest