Oh wow, 2013 is pretty much over. Do you remember your 2013 New Year’s resolutions? If you don’t, I recommend starting a blog and make those goals public. It’s a great way to keep accountable to yourself and your readers.
2013 went quite well, but I had way too many goals this year. Next year I’ll concentrate on just a few big goals. Having too many goals isn’t good because I can’t keep track of them all. Life is just too hectic these days. At least I accomplished most of what I really wanted to do this year. Let’s take a look.
Our goal for 2013 is for him to make a friend.
Well, he pulled it all together at the last minute. He started a new preschool in November and he is enjoying the company of many friends now. It didn’t look good for a while there because it didn’t work out at the first smaller preschool, but I guess he just needed a couple more months to mature. Great job, little guy!
- Contribute $11,000 to Roth IRA – Done in Q1.
- Increase Mrs. RB40’s 401(k) contribution to $17,500 – Done in Q1.
- Contribute $10,000 to Baby RB40’s 529. Done in Q2.
- Generate $18,000 of passive income – Fail. We are not going to meet this goal in 2013. December isn’t quite over yet, but we are way short of the finish line. We made about $10,000 in passive income this year. The rentals only generated about $1,000 this year. I’m hopeful for next year, but I still need to lower my expectations. $12,000 of passive income in 2014 is probably more within reach.
- Generate $18,000 online. Done in Q3. Thank you! Subscribe to our newsletter to see how we did it.
- Stretch Goal – contribute $5,000 to a solo 401(k). Done in Q4! I contributed $17,500 to my solo 401(k) so far. I will contribute an additional $7,500 this month. This is the employer’s contribution portion.
- Put together a will. Done in Q4! I did it with LegalZoom. My will is rather straightforward so it was pretty easy.
- Buy life insurance – Done in Q4! I shopped around a little bit and finally got a reasonable offer from MetLife.
- 2013 No Spend Challenge: Clothing. Done! I got a new pair of tennis shoes from the Adidas employee store (50% off!) They’re still in the box and I’m saving them for when my shoes are worn out. Other than that, I haven’t purchased anything new in 2013. A lot of my clothes are worn down and I’m ready to buy some new stuff in 2014.
- Take a trip. Done. We went to visit Santa Barbara, the Bay Area, and Palm Springs this year. Done!
- Avoid a midlife crisis! I haven’t done anything crazy yet this year so I think we are good here. No new sports car in the driveway. 🙁 Done!
- Enjoy being a stay at home dad. Life is a lot better now that he is going to preschool for a couple of days. We also go to the gym a few times a week and that really helped out too. Done!
- Come up with a sustainable exercise program and do it – WIP. I couldn’t keep up with my exercise program, so I joined a gym instead. It’s been going well so far, but I think we’ll have to see how it goes in 2014.
- Go to a convention. Done. I went to the World Domination Summit. It was such an inspiring experience that I got a ticket for Mrs. RB40 for next year’s conference.
- Join Toastmasters. Fail. I think I’m going to give up on this goal for now. I’m just not enthused about it. Maybe when RB40 Jr. is in school fulltime.
- Go camping at the beach in the summer. Done! We went to Cape Lookout. It was a lot of fun and RB40 Jr. had a blast.
- Go for a short hike in the Columbia George. Done! We went to see the waterfalls a couple of times over the summer.
- Get a Zoo membership. Pass. We have been to the zoo 4 times this year. There are free days and discount days so we don’t really want to get a membership at this time.
- Go to 10 local festivals in 2013. Pass. We went to a bunch of festivals this summer, but I don’t think we hit 10. This goal doesn’t really need to be here.
- Picnic at an Oregon winery. Done. We went wine tasting a couple of times this year.
- Go to 10 free musical/tourist destinations/theatrical performances. Pass. We went to a bunch of free events this year. It’s probably around 10, but I lost count because there were so many. Not a big deal.
- Have a drink with blogger friends in Oregon and California. Done! I met up with bloggers and readers in Seattle, San Jose, and San Francisco so far.
- Try a new beer – Done! This one was a freebie. I tried a bunch of new beer this year. Maybe a new beer every month? 🙂
Close, but no cookie. We did it! My main goal for 2013 is to hit 100,000 page views per month at some point. Unfortunately, we didn’t quite make it in 2013. Here are our stats for the past few months.
- September – 96,590 pageviews
- October – 96,918 pageviews
- November – 92,150 pageviews
- December – 101,962 pageviews. We had a great December and crossed over the line on New Year’s Eve!
September and October are our best chance of breaking the 100,000 pageviews/month boundary,
but we didn’t make it this year. I’m sure we will get there in 2014.
It’s a wrap
2013 is pretty much done and I’m getting this article out a bit early. There are only a few weeks left and unless you’re done with your resolutions, you probably won’t make it. I’m quite happy with my list this year. It was a little bit rambling, but I got most of it done. Next year, I’ll have 5 or 6 big goals so it will be much easier to keep track.
Anyway, having a written list of goals is extremely useful. It gave me a chance to follow up on them and refocus every quarter. If I didn’t have a list, I probably would have forgotten many of these goals by now. That’s one of the reasons why maintaining a blog is great for self motivation.
What about you? Did you make any New Year’s resolutions in 2013? How are you doing so far?
Photo credit: flickr dmje