Hooray, It’s Spring!
I am so happy that winter is coming to a close. We had a mild winter in the Pacific Northwest this year, but I am still very glad that warmer weather is on the way. The year is almost 1/4 over. Time really flies and it’s time to check on my 2013 New Year’s resolutions and see if I’m making any progress. Here we go.
Our goal for 2013 is for him to make a friend. Unfortunately, we are not making much progress here. He plays with other kids when we go to the playground and to story time, but he doesn’t have a close friend that he plays with regularly. This is the hard part about being a stay at home dad. It’s hard to connect with moms and set up play dates. We’ll keep trying.
- Contribute $11,000 to Roth IRA – Done! I sold off some stocks last year and earmarked $11,000 for our Roth IRA.
- Increase Mrs. RB40’s 401(k) contribution to $17,500 – Done! This didn’t impact our cash flow much because she maxed out last year and only needed to increase $500.
- Contribute $10,000 to Baby RB40’s 529. The stock market seems frothy to me so I’m going to wait a bit.
- Generate $18,000 of passive income. WIP, but this is not looking good. The rentals and peer to peer lending are not generating much income for us so far this year.
- Generate $18,000 online. This one is on track.
- Stretch Goal – contribute $5,000 to a solo 401(k). Put off until later this year.
- Put together a will. No progress.
- Buy life insurance – WIP. I got a quote, but haven’t followed up on it yet.
- Take a trip. Summer.
- Avoid a midlife crisis! I’ll turn 40 next year and I really don’t want to have any kind of melt down. Holding steady here. I don’t have an itch to buy a new sports car or anything like that.
- Enjoy being a stay at home dad. Wow, this one is hard with a 2 year old. Baby RB40 can be so unreasonable sometimes. Lately he has been waking up at 2 am crying to change into a different pair pants. At that hour, the last thing you want to hear is, “Green pants, green pants!” sob*.
- Come up with a sustainable exercise program and do it. I came up with a program, but the weather turned a bit colder this week so we haven’t gone out much. We’ll see if I can keep it up.
- Go to a convention. I signed up for the 2013 World Domination Summit. This should be a lot of fun.
- Join Toastmasters. Not looking good. I just don’t have any spare time.
- Go camping at the beach in the summer.
- Go for a short hike in the Columbia George.
- Get a Zoo membership. I’m rethinking this one. I found out we have a discount on Tuesdays, so we might just take advantage of that instead.
- Go to 10 local festivals in 2013. No festivals yet. 🙁 Have to wait until summer.
- Picnic at an Oregon winery.
- Go to 10 free musical/tourist destinations/theatrical performances. Let’s not miss the Symphony at the Waterfront this year. We’ve been to the Japanese Garden, Chinese Garden, Oregon History Museum, and the Children’s Museum. Not bad so far.
- Have a drink with blogger friends in Oregon and California. Doing well here.
- Try a new beer – Done! I guess this was a freebie. I tried about 5 new beers already and I still have 9 months left.
- 2013 No Spend Challenge: Clothing. Doing well here so far.
My main goal for 2013 is to hit 100,000 page views per month at some point. This is very slow going. Our growth rate is much slower now in our 3rd year. At this rate, we might hit 100,000 page views around the end of the year. We’ll see.
Slow going so far
Well, it looks like we didn’t get much accomplished so far in 2013. I only see three items checked off. I’m not too worried though because many of these are going to take the whole year to do. Some things will have to wait until summer. I think I’ll concentrate on keeping up the SAHD exercise program and getting life insurance over the next few months.
What about you? Did you make any New Year’s resolutions in 2013? How are you doing so far?