Wow, this summer has been so hectic. I guess the last few summers have been a little slower because our kid was just a baby/toddler and we didn’t overload ourselves with activities. Now that Jr. is 3 year old, we are doing a lot more fun stuff, but it’s exhausting! Last year, he took afternoon naps so at least we’d have that little break in the middle of the day. Now, he gets up at 7 am and can’t fall asleep until about 9 pm. He’d say, “But it’s not dark yet” and refuse to go to bed…
July, in particular, has been really crazy for us. First we had Independence Day and the Blues Festival which was a lot of fun. Then we went yurt camping for 3 nights. We went to the aquarium, explored the beaches, hiked, made campfires, and cooked camp food. It was really nice to get out of town for a bit, but the trip was full of activities. It wasn’t quite the relaxing camping trip that I was looking forward to.
When we got back to Portland, it was in the middle of the hottest (so far) stretch of the year. We went to various splashing fountains in the morning and then to the pool in the afternoon every day last week. Now we’re sun burnt and have a little sniffles. We put on plenty of sunblock, but it was just too much sun. I guess we played too hard lately. Mrs. RB40 was even busier because she went to the World Domination Summit last weekend. She had a great time and even got to ride her first hot air balloon.
Next weekend, we’re heading out to Boise for a few days. Mrs. RB40 is heading over for training and I thought we’d take the opportunity to visit since we haven’t been there before. Boise sounds like a nice up and coming city and the cost of living is a bit lower than Portland. Maybe it would be a good retirement destination…
After Boise, we’ll take it easy in town for a while. Portland is really great in July and August. There are tons of free performances and we plan to attend as many as we can. All in all life is great and I’m close to living the life I want. Full time work is really a drag; I don’t know why anyone does it. 😉
Enjoy your summer
As you can tell, I’m taking it a bit easy today. I’ve been blogging in the middle of the night and I’m worn out from all the activities. Summer is a bit slow on the blog anyway. Everyone is out and about enjoying the great weather. It’s also our 15th anniversary this week and I’m taking Mrs. RB40 out. She deserves a date night once in a while.
What kind of fun stuff have you been doing this summer? Any more plans for the next few months?
Free Fun Activities in Portland
If you’re visiting Portland, here are some fun free events that you can check out.
- Pioneer Square – Free concerts, farmer markets, and other fun events.
- Washington Park Summer Festivals – Opera, Taiko, Symphony, and more at Washington Park.
- Concerts in the Park 2014 – Free concerts in parks all over Portland.
- Movies in the Park – Outdoor movies in parks all over Portland
- Summer Arts on Main Street and Music on Main Street – Free performances on Main Street, downtown.
- Summer Concerts at the Zoo – This one is not free, but it’s my favorite venue. Support the zoo!
- Free Museum Day – Various museums are free (or discounted) on certain days.
- Sundown at Ecotrust – Free concerts.
- Portland Festival Symphony Concerts – I love symphony in the parks.
- Art in the Pearl – Art festival in the Pearl district.
Whew! How can anyone spend money when there are so many free fun things to do?