Whew, it’s finally here. I’ve been looking forward to Thanksgiving for so long that I can’t believe it’s here. I really need the 4 day weekend and will take the whole 4 days off from work and blogging.
We have family coming in from out of town and Mrs. RB40 will be cooking the whole Friday and Saturday. I’ll help a bit, but I think it will be mostly her show this weekend.
Here are what we’ll be having on Saturday!
- Big Turkey! In previous years, we usually just get a chicken or game hens because it was only the two of us. I’m in charge of this bird.
- Sides – Stuffing, Brussels sprouts gratin, Butternut squash bread pudding, Roasted red or fingerling potatoes, and Julienned green beans & carrots. Holy Moly, that’s a lot of side dishes.
- Sauces – Gravy & Cranberry sauce.
- Appetizers – Goat cheese/pistachio stuffed dates, cranberry/cream cheese dip (with crackers), and black olives.
- Desserts – Wine poached pear trifle, pumpkin bread, oatmeal & raisin cookies, S’mores, persimmons, and white fruitcake fudge.
- Drinks -Sparkling cranberry drink, hot chocolate w/ peppermint sticks, and wine.
OK, this is enough food to feed a village! This list will probably be pared down quite a bit over the next couple of days. It will still be awesome though! How about you? What’s your plan this Thanksgiving?
Black Friday Shopping
While Mrs. RB40 is busy in the kitchen on Black Friday the rest of us will go out and shop!!! Hahaha, just kidding. This year, we probably will all sleep in and hang out at home. Watch some football and play some video games, that kind of stuff. I need to buy some items though and I’m hoping to get them before Black Friday.
- Space heater. Our 50 year old furnace is blowing room temperature air. I called a service guy and he said the “sequencer” is going bad and only one of the two heater coils is turning on. It will probably cost over $500 to fix the sequencer since it’s not being made anymore. I’d rather replace the whole furnace, but that will cost $3,000. Instead, we’ll go with an oil filled electric radiator this year. Our space is pretty small and I think two of these will be enough to keep us cozy in addition to our kotatsu table. I picked up the Pelonis heater from Home Depot today for $37. It’s working quite well so far.
- Dishwasher. The 11 year old dishwasher in our rental home is about ready to go. It doesn’t drain very well and the tenants have been really patient with us so far. I saw a $299 Maytag at Home Depot today that looks pretty good.
- External hard drive. I saw a 2TB external hard drive on sale for
$80$70 in a Costco booklet. This wasn’t in the original plan for Black Friday, but our 1GB external hard drive is full. It was extremely useful when my PC hard drive crashed earlier this year so I think I will go ahead and get another hard drive to make sure our laptops are backed up as well. Seriously, if your hard drive crash once, it will be worth the price. I’ll probably drop by on Saturday to pick this up.
The rest of the weekend, we’ll spend recovering from the turkey coma. Do you have a list for Black Friday shopping?
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank some of my blogging buddies who helped me so much this year.
- Young and Thrifty – Thank you so much for including our blog on so many of your round ups. You’re one of our best referrals! Hope you are doing well in grad school!!!
- Financial Samurai – Thank you Sam for starting and maintaining Yakezie, the biggest and best Personal Finance blog network on the internet. The forum always has an answer for me when I have any blog-related question. Yakezie is an indispensable resource for us.
- Wealth Informatics – Thanks Suba for working on Yakezie and working with us. Hope you get some much needed rest and come back better than ever!
- Buck Inspire – Thanks Buck for working with me on our joint anniversary giveaway. Here’s to a great 2nd year for us!
Some newcomers who are making a name for themselves and are great to talk to.
- One Cent At A Time – Check out his latest post on How to be Rich!
- My Broken Coin – Aloysa’s shopping addiction is very entertaining. She would get along just fine with Mrs. RB40 with their common love of shoes/boots.
- 20’s Finance – Cory is relentless and writes great posts. See how he furnished his whole apartment for $600. He is expanding his online empire and will soon be able to retire from his day job!
Have a great Thanksgiving!!!!! Go ahead and eat too much turkey, it’s a tradition!