Can you believe we have less than 3 months left in 2012? It’s going to be Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, then POOF! It’s New Year’s Eve. Are you still keeping track of your 2012 New Year resolutions or are they long forgotten? Is it even worth making the effort for the last push or should we concentrate on enjoying the holidays?
If you have been working on your goals and resolutions through the year, then you should refocus and continue until the end of the year. Now is the time to trim your ambition and finish off what you can.
Let’s start off with
Baby Kid RB40?s goals for 2012.
Kid RB40‘s Goals for 2012
– Walk. He is very mobile now. He can walk, run, jump, and wiggle Gangnam Style. It’s pretty crazy. 🙂
– Talk. He was a slow starter, but his vocabulary is expanding very quickly now. He is learning a few words every week and it’s pretty awesome. This past week, he learned how to say ‘whale’ and ‘good job.’ What a guy!
– Eating. He is getting a lot pickier lately, rejecting lasagna, applesauce, and other foods he used to eat without any issues, but I guess that’s normal. We’ll have to be patient with him, but it’s hard when he was eating so well a few months ago.
Overall, Kid RB40 blew through every goal I set for him. He is entering the terrible 2s and we’ll have to work on his behavior next year. He’s been throwing A LOT of tantrums lately…
On to my 2012 goals
- Rental Income: average $700/month. We have been averaging $785/month so far in 2012. While this is great, the exterior paint job is going to cost $5,000 and bring down the average quite a bit. We are not going to meet our rental income goal in 2012, but perhaps we can do it in 2013. Fail.
- Online Income: average $1,000/month in Q4 2012. So far we are averaging $1,003 in 2012. We are reinvesting the revenue so the net income is falling. I’m not sure if we’ll meet the goal, but I’ll keep pushing this one. WIP.
- Dividend & Interest: average $500/month in Q4 2012. Done! The dividend portfolio should generate about $550/month. In Q3, we averaged $632/month. I think we’ll get just a bit over $500/month in Q4.
- Monthly positive cash flow: $500/month. So far in 2012, we average about $1,445/month and are ahead of the goal. At this point, I’ll call this one Done!
- P2P income: $100/month by the December 2012. I met my goal of increasing our investment in peer to peer lending to $10,000 earlier this summer. We made over $100 in August and September. The monthly result will go up and down due to defaults, but overall it’s looking good. Pretty much Done!
- Change job. Done! I quit my engineering career and became a stay at home dad/blogger. I’m getting less sleep than ever, but life is so much better overall. Done!
- Stay healthy by eating well and keeping active. The transition to staying at home didn’t work out well for this goal. I’m not eating as healthy and I’m less active even with running after baby RB40. I need to come up with a better routine. I’ll call this one WIP for now, but it’s probably going to be a Fail...
- Join Toastmasters. I will probably have to wait until Kid RB40 goes off to school before I can do this. I gave up on this one too. Fail.
- Pursue other side ventures. I’m talking to my friends more, but nothing yet. This is a long term goal and it won’t be done this year. I’ll call this one Put off until 2013. WIP.
- Retire By 40. I’m still able to consistently post 3 times per week. I’ve been working after baby RB40 goes to bed and it’s rough. However, all that hard work is paying off and our traffic is increasing again now that summer is over. Overall, I’m pretty happy with our progress this year. Next year, I’ll set more concrete goals. Perhaps 100,000 pageviews/month by the end of 2013? WIP.
- Develop a few more sites. I started two more sites and hired writers to help out. I can’t write for more than one site. I’ll focus on the backend on those sites and we’ll see if the investment pans out. These new sites are just starting out and are a little rough around the edges. Check them out at Midlife Finance and Ready To Quit My Job! I’m calling this one Done!
- Attend one blogging conference. I attended the 2012 Financial Blogger Conference in Denver and had an awesome time. Now that I know what to expect, I should be more prepared next time. Done!
See, that wasn’t so bad. I accomplished 50% of my goals. I gave up on a few of them and will concentrate on the rest in the next 3 months. These quarterly checkups are awesome. They refocus my energy and help me plan for the short term. If you have any serious goals, I highly recommend keeping some kind of journal so you can keep track of them.
How are you doing with your 2012 New Year’s goals and resolutions? Did you lose those 10 lbs yet?