I’m taking 3 months off to preview my early retirement!
I know it’s April 1st, but this is not a joke. I have been crazy busy lately and I really need some time off, so this break came just in time. Here are some examples of what’s on my plate this week.
- Full time work – trying to wrap things up before my break;
- Baby RB40 needs his milk every 3 hours or so, consequently I have been getting about 6 hours of interrupted sleep per night;
- Rental home has an HOA violation and the management company is not following up on this. I’m probably going to fire the property management and run it myself for 3 months and see how it goes;
- Over the range microwave went out at the rental condo. I replaced the door switch, but it is still not working so we probably have to get a new one. I can’t believe it cost $150 just for installation alone, so I will try to install a new one myself;
- Retire By 40 – This blog is also taking up quite a bit of time, but I’ve been able to keep up the 3 posts per week so far.
What will I be doing for 3 months?
I’ll be a stay-at-home dad, work on the blog, manage two rentals, and look for other opportunities. I guess that’s not quite an idle retirement, but I think it’ll still be a great break from the day to day grind. I’ll also take this opportunity to put the microscope to our finances. We can see how our cash flow will do with only one income and how much further we have to go before I can really quit the rat race. This will have to be much more detailed than our usual Pools Budgeting.
I’ll keep meticulous notes on our cash flow and will share with you at the end of each month. I know we are still short at this time and I want to find out exactly how much. We’ll also try to cut as many expenses as possible to help with the cash flow.
Here are my 3 months goals
- Compile a detailed cash flow spread sheet. See April cash flow at this post.
- Work on acquiring a 4 plex. We have made an offer on a short sale and the wheels are in motion.
- Improve the blog and work on blog income
- Figure out more ways to make money online. Explore the niche site opportunities.
- R&R – catch up on my hobbies, strum some ukuleles, dust off the Xbox, go to the farmer market, and just chill out and enjoy Spring. 😀
I think that will keep me quite busy. Hopefully the little dictator won’t take up 100% of my time. Mrs. RB40 is going back to work in about a month so we can team up on him for now, but after that the boys will be on their own.
What else do you think I should do during my time off? Are the lion and zebra on this onesie best friends or something? Baby RB40 looks quite authoritative in this photo.