Do you dream of retiring early, before the now standard age of 67?
If so, you are not alone.
However, the earlier you retire, the more you have to stash away in your retirement fund because you will be using the money longer. One simple way to retire early AND stretch your retirement fund is to find something fun that you like to do in retirement that can also earn you some income.
Not sure where to start? Here are some fun ideas that may appeal to you:
1. Shop estate sales and sell the merchandise online. Have an eye for detail? Are you familiar with antiques? If so, you could make a decent side income attending estate sales, buying merchandise, and selling it online. Ebay is a great place to list your finds, and you will be protected in case the buyer doesn’t pay or argues that they didn’t receive their merchandise. You may need to have ample storage for this “job” though.
2. Play online bingo. Bingo is no longer played just at church halls and casinos. There are plenty of online bingo sites such as Ladbrokes.com. Do your research first, and make sure you play with a reputable online gaming site so you can collect your winnings. Some sites even let you play for free a few times before you have to begin paying. To earn money at this job, make sure that you don’t have an addictive personality. Set a limit to how much you are willing to gamble on a daily or weekly basis, and then stick to that limit.
3. Work at a theater. If you live in a mid-size to large city, you may be able to find a job working as a chaperone at a stage theater. The best part of this job is that you get to watch the play or musical for free. Plus, you are being paid for your time! This is also a great job for those who enjoy a lot of social interaction.
4. Sell your crafts. Are you crafty? Are you always building, sewing or knitting something? If so, you may want to consider selling your goods, especially if you would be creating them anyway. You can sell at local craft shows, or, if you want to reach a larger audience, you could open an Etsy store. Selling on Etsy is getting a bit more competitive, so before you open up shop, research what other stores are selling the same types of items and determine what makes your goods unique. You need to stand apart from the others.
5. Become a tour guide. Again, if you are a resident of a large city and a history buff, you may enjoy working as a tour guide. You will be able to enjoy the outdoor weather and help educate others about your city. Chances are you will also learn from your customers.
If you are planning to retire soon, begin thinking now about what fun activities you might want to do to make money in retirement.
What do you plan to do to make money in retirement?